Believe it or not, there are fair-weather criminals. Every year, as soon as the weather starts getting nicer, we see an increase in property crimes of opportunity such as car prowls. While nothing is a guarantee, there are things you can do to reduce your risk. These are great tips whether you are parked in a lot, on our streets, at our parks or even in your own driveway.
- Remove all valuables
- Install a steering wheel locking device
- Install an alarm system with a kill switch
- Never leave your vehicle running unattended.
- Park in well-lit locations and avoid isolated areas
- Install an ignition or fuel cut-off switch
- Install a vehicle tracking system
- Install a locking fuel cap
- Lock all doors (you’d think we wouldn’t have to say this one, but believe it or not, we do).
- Completely close all windows and do not leave pets/children in vehicle
For increase safety in your own neighborhood, Police can’t emphasize enough the importance of a Block Watch. Click here for more information to get you started.