Current Draft of Sumner’s Social Media Policy:
Prohibited Content: Social Media Posting and Comments Policy
The City of Sumner welcomes dialogue with the public. Although we encourage posts and comments on City of Sumner Social Media sites that allow posts, these sites are limited public forums and are moderated by City staff. All posted content (comments, photos, links, etc.) must be related to the topic at hand. The following are prohibited on City of Sumner Social Media sites:
- Comments not topically related to the particular post being commented upon;
- Posts and comments must follow other city guidelines for promoting events and activities. Posts and comments must be predominantly civic in nature. Those intended to promote private activities, advertise specific commercial services or are predominantly religious in nature may not be allowed;
- Political statements, including comments that endorse or oppose political candidates or ballot propositions, are prohibited under state law (RCW 42.52.180);
- Posts and comments that promote, foster or perpetuate discrimination on the basis of creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or mental disability or sexual orientation;
- Posts and comments that include vulgar, offensive, threatening or harassing language, personal attacks or unsupported accusations;
- Obscene or sexual content or links to obscene or sexual content;
- Illegal activity or encouragement of illegal activity;
- Information that may tend to compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems;
- Comments from children under 13 cannot be posted in order to comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act. By posting on a City social media site, users acknowledge that they are at least 13 years old. Those 12 years old or younger may e‐mail the City instead;
- Content that violates a legal ownership interest of any other party; or
- Anonymous posts.
The City of Sumner reserves the right to remove posted content that does not comply with these Policies. All posts and comments uploaded to City of Sumner Social Media sites that allow posts will be periodically reviewed. All posts and comments are public records subject to public disclosure under the Public Records Act.
Communications made through City of Sumner Social Media sites in no way constitute a legal or official notice or comment to the City of Sumner. (For example, a post or comment that asks for public records will not be considered a public records request under RCW 42.56.) They are also not part of an official notification process. Social media posts may, as a courtesy, remind users of public notices, public hearings, etc., but they do not replace the City’s official notification process through its paper of public record. To comment about a specific city project or program, please contact the appropriate department.