The Cities of Pacific and Sumner are working together to improve the Valentine/136th Avenue corridor. The project will involve reconstruction of 1.5 miles of 136th Avenue East/Valentine Avenue SE from 24th Street East in the City of Sumner to County Line/Division Road in the City of Pacific. It also includes reconstruction of Stewart Road at the intersection of Valentine Avenue East in Pacific. Other improvements include a traffic signal at 24th Street East/136th Avenue East in Sumner, signal modifications at Stewart/Valentine Avenue East, pervious and non-pervious sidewalks, stormwater treatment and conveyance, water and sewer line replacement, channelization, and landscaping. Coordination with franchise utility companies for relocation of franchise utilities is required.
The project costs $18.0 million with Pacific contributing $11.0 million and Sumner $7.0 million. The cities have secured grants and formed a Local Improvement District (LID) for project funding.
Click here for a pdf of the 136-Valentine Updated Schedule.
Current work (updated October 2015)
Here’s the update from our contractor.
In Sumner, work done to date includes
- Overhead utilities transferred from the west side of the roadway to the east side with some utilities upgraded and dropped underground
- 4,148 lineal feet of storm pipe ranging in sizes from 12” up to 36”
- 3550 cubic yards of concrete for roadway
- 5,113 lineal feet of concrete curb and gutters
- 1,500+ square yards of new sidewalk on both the east and west side of the road
- 30 + side sewers extended and refurbished from right of way to the main line
- New signal equipment currently being installed at the intersection of 24th and Valentine with possible turn on in early/ mid November
In Pacific, work done to date includes
- 4,609 lineal feet of storm pipe installed ranging in sizes from 8” up to 24”
- 1,500+ lineal feet of new 12” water main
- 25+ side sewers extended and refurbished from right of way to the main line
- 610 lineal feet of new sanitary sewer main installed between Roy Road to just south of County Line Road with new side sewer connections
- With work scheduled to start in early November to update and re-configure the signal at Stewart and Valentine
Andrew Leach, Assistant Engineer