Events in Sumner
Events are a big part of making Sumner the vibrant place it is. Annual traditions include
- Daffodil Festival’s Grand Floral Parade down Main Street in April
- Music Off Main every Friday in July and Movies Off Main every Friday in August in Heritage Park, hosted by the Sumner Arts Commission
- Classy Chassis Car Show in downtown Sumner in August
- Come Walk With Me – MultiCare’s 5K walk to support local breast health services
- Homecoming Parade on the Friday of Homecoming each fall
- Street of Treats with safe Trick-or-Treating downtown each Halloween
- Bridge Lighting the Friday after Thanksgiving (returning after bridge construction is finished)
- Santa Parade down Main Street the first Saturday in December
- And more events including Sip & Stroll, Small Business Saturday and more held by the Sumner Downtown Promotion Association.
Holding Your Own Event
If you’d like to hold an event in the City of Sumner, there are a couple of things the City can do to help.
First, you may want to see if your event fits the City Codes for events. Check the Municipal Code and go to Chapter 12.52 for Special Events.
All park spaces, including the gazebo, picnic shelters, tables, barbecues, etc. are available on a first-come, first-serve basis only at no cost. Please note if it is a busy weekend of graduation parties or Father’s Day for example, other people may have the same idea. Normal uses, such as birthday parties, family picnics, etc. do not require any kind of permit.
You should obtain a Special Event Permit if your event is held on City property, including parks, streets, sidewalks or parking lots; if your event changes the normal, everyday use of this space for the public and/or includes major components such as structures (tents, special tables, inflatable bounce toys, etc.) or a band or amplified music.
We can issue a Special Event Permit for an event held on City property, to which permitting requirements and costs would be involved. Permit applications can be found on the Public Records and Forms page (link) and must be submitted 60 days in advance. Below is a list of all of the permit fees and the Special Events Costs and Services, but for a general party-type event, here is an example of what would be required:
- A City employee or employees at the event to set up and tear down barricades to reserve the space. They may also need to be on hand during the event to monitor the reservation. For a small party with no other services, the cost would be the facility rental fee of $50.00, plus labor costs of $40.00 per hour on weekdays (with a one hour minimum) and $60.00 per hour on weekends (with a 3 hour minimum).
- If there is alcohol being served, that would require a banquet permit and the area fully barricaded. Info on permits and licenses can be found at http://liq.wa.gov/licensing/permits
- Liability Insurance. If the City of Sumner issues a permit, we require a minimum limit of $2,000,000 of Commercial General Liability insurance. Even though there is no building, our code requires that the “City of Sumner” needs to be the Certificate Holder and an additional insured for the City of Sumner facilities.
- A pre-event meeting with the event applicant and the City of Sumner staff will be held 30 days prior to the event to go over things like the layout of the area you want to use, power connections, or to answer follow up questions (such as if you’d want to pay for the portable toilets to be serviced prior, etc.).
Lana Hoover, Community Engagement Specialist