Sumner Grow is a humus that is derived from biosolids produced from wastewater treatment. Biosolids are an alternative to chemicals to restore soil health and provide much needed slow release (non-burning) nitrogen to lawns, shrubs, trees and gardens.
Why Use It?
Rather than pay money for chemical fertilizers, this humus is
Safe to use in all gardens even those with pets and children
60% organic with 4% slow release nitrogen
Enriches the “soil web” to build new soil
Loosens hard soil
Increases fertilizer uptake and utilization
Develops greater root systems
Yields healthier and stronger plants
Increases the water holding capacity of the soil
Stores moisture as surrounding soil loses water
How Do I Get It?
Sumner Regional Wastewater Treatment Facility
13114 – 63rd Street E, Sumner WA 98390
Print the Sumner Grow Flyer (pdf)
The material is soil-like in appearance. Keep material dry until ready for use.
Consider mixing your own potting soil and adding about 8-10% Sumner Grow to the mix. This gives your plants a slow-release nitrogen feed with valuable trace elements over a period of time, getting new transplants off to a healthier start.
- Established Lawns: Use as a top dressing at about 25 pounds per 1,000 square feet.
- New Lawns & Sod Applications: Use a little less–about 20 lbs per 1,000 square feet.
- Shrubs: Use about 1 cup for small bushes, two for medium sized, three for large.
- Potted Plants: Use a handful for each medium sized plant.To Restore Old, Worked Out Gardens: Work about 10-20 pounds per 100 square feet into the top 6 inches of soil. This replaces chemical fertilizers.
- Trees: Use 2 pounds per inch of diameter spread evenly to the drip line (the tree’s shade at noon).
Proper use of Sumner Grow will give the best desired plant growth as well as protecting public health and the environment. Learn more about Sumner’s stormwater program.