Notice is hereby given under WAC 197-11-455 and 510 and SMC 18.56.090 that the City of Sumner is issuing a Draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (Draft SEIS) addressing the 2020 Sumner Comprehensive Plan and Zoning Amendments and East Sumner Neighborhood Plan Update and Planned Action.
The Draft SEIS describes the existing conditions and identifies probable significant environmental impacts, mitigation measures to mitigate these impacts, and any significant unavoidable adverse impacts from the proposal, in accordance with RCW 43.21C.031. The Draft SEIS is also intended to fulfill the SEPA requirements for Planned Action environmental review consistent with RCW 43.21C.440 and WAC 197-11-164 to 172.
Description of proposal
The City of Sumner provides an annual amendment process to its Comprehensive Plan and development regulations such as the Zoning Code. The proposal includes the City of Sumner’s anticipated adoption of Comprehensive Plan future land use map and text amendments, and zoning code map and text amendments affecting multiple areas of the city including:
- MA-01: Amend Comprehensive Plan Map at Houston Road Urban Growth Area (UGA), and update Light Industrial development standards.
- MA-02: Remove remnant Central Business District (CBD) zoning on Main Street.
- MA-03: Update Comprehensive Plan Map and Zoning Map for School District lands.
- MA-05: Amend Comprehensive Plan Map and Zoning Map for East Sumner Neighborhood Plan (ESNP).
- TA-01: Update East Sumner Neighborhood Plan and make associated text amendments, including updates to Resource Protection zone, East Sumner Urban Village Overlay, and Critical Areas Ordinance, as well as amend Planned Action Ordinance.
- ZCTA-04: Add allowance for small-batch coffee roasting in the TCP area.
- ZCTA-05: Add new “Innovation District” Overlay to the Zoning Code.
- ZCTA-06: Remove text related to remnant CBD and Mixed Use Development (MUD) Districts; update related Neighborhood Commercial text and Sign Code provisions.
Proponent and Lead Agency
City of Sumner
Location of Proposal
The proposal includes the City of Sumner’s anticipated adoption of Comprehensive Plan future land use map and text amendments, and zoning code map and text amendments affecting multiple locations in the city limits and Urban Growth Area (UGA), including the East Sumner Neighborhood.
Documents Supplemented and Statement of Adoption
This SEIS adopts and supplements prior relevant SEPA documents:
- The 2015 Final Environmental Impact Statement prepared for Sumner Comprehensive Plan Update, East Sumner Neighborhood Plan Update, Capital Facility and Transportation Plan Update, Development Regulations and Critical Areas Ordinance Update, and East Sumner Neighborhood Planned Action
- 2018 Final EIS prepared for the Sumner Town Center Subarea Plan Update and Planned Action Final Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement.
We have identified and adopted these documents as being appropriate for this proposal after independent review, and they will accompany the proposal to the decision maker. The Draft SEIS builds on these documents and when the SEIS is completed, will meet our environmental review needs for the current proposal.
Comment and Review
The Draft SEIS and associated documents can be reviewed and downloaded at the project website at: https://connects.sumnerwa.gov/comp-plan.
Contact the Ann Siegenthaler, Associate Planner, City of Sumner Community Development Department at 253.299.5520 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unable to access the documents online. Alternate formats may be available at cost.
Written comments are due no later than 5:00 p.m., December 10, 2020 and should be directed to: Ann Siegenthaler, Associate Planner, City of Sumner Community Development Department
1104 Maple Street, Sumner, WA 98390, 253.299.5520, email@example.com
Consistent with SMC 18.56.110 a public meeting and hearing is planned for December 3, 2020, 6:00 pm, with the Planning Commission. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, City Hall remains closed during Governor Inslee’s “Stay Home, Stay Healthy” order. Therefore, this will be a VIRTUAL MEETING for Commissioners and the public only, where participants may join via computer or phone.
View the Full Notice Here:
See the City’s web page https://connects.sumnerwa.gov/comp-plan for more information, including log-in information to access the virtual public hearing.
Ryan Windish, Community Development Director and SEPA Responsible Official, 253.299.5524, firstname.lastname@example.org