Applications are now being accepted for the City of Sumner Comprehensive Plan and/or Zoning Code Amendments
The City of Sumner is now accepting applications for amendments to the Sumner Comprehensive Plan and/or Zoning Code. Amendments to the Comprehensive Plan may be proposed to any element of the adopted Sumner Comprehensive Plan, including amendments to goals, policies, objectives, or comprehensive plan maps. Application must be complete and contain the information required in SMC 18.56.147 (https://www.codepublishing.com/WA/Sumner/#!/Sumner18/Sumner1856.html#18.56.147). In addition, Comprehensive Plan Amendment applications must address the following criteria:
- An amendment is necessary to resolve inconsistencies between the Sumner comprehensive plan and other city plans or ordinances; or to resolve inconsistencies between the Sumner comprehensive plan and other jurisdictions’ plans or ordinances.
- Conditions have so changed since the adoption of the Sumner comprehensive plan that the existing goals, policies, objectives, and/or map classifications are inappropriate.
- The proposed amendment is consistent with the overall intent of the goals of the Sumner comprehensive plan.
- The proposed amendment is consistent with chapter 36.70A RCW, the county-wide planning policies for Pierce County, and the applicable multicounty planning policies.
- Where an amendment to the comprehensive plan map is proposed, the proposed designation is adjacent to property having a similar and compatible designation, or the subject property is of sufficient size, or other conditions are present.
- Environmental impacts have been disclosed, and measures have been included to reduce possible adverse impacts.
- Potential ramifications of the proposed amendment to other comprehensive plan elements and supporting plans have been considered and satisfactorily addressed.
The application fees are: Comprehensive Plan Amendment–$2,600; Change in Zoning Map–$3,000.
The City is also accepting applications for amendments to the Zoning Code (text only, not the Zoning Map). Applications must be complete and contain information required in SMC 18.56.149 (https://www.codepublishing.com/WA/Sumner/#!/Sumner18/Sumner1856.html#18.56.149). In addition, Zoning Code Text Amendment applications must address the following:
- Description of the requested code amendment;
- An explanation of why the amendment is being proposed including specific areas needing change;
- If appropriate, the proposed amendment should include amendatory language; and
- An explanation of how the proposed amendment implements the comprehensive plan.
No fee will be charged for a Zoning Code Text Amendment if applied for by the established deadline.
Completed applications must be submitted to the Sumner Community Development Department, 1104 Maple Street, Sumner, WA 98390 by 5:00 p.m., Monday, March 2, 2020. Questions may be directed to Ann Siegenthaler, Associate Planner, at the Community Development Department (253) 299-5520 or email email@example.com