In the event of an emergency such as a flood or earthquake, Sumner Police work with other city officials, county officials, East Pierce Fire & Rescue, and many others to ensure everyone’s safety. However, such situations often require effort on everyone’s part to prepare in advance, be alert during the emergency and help clean up afterward. Here are some things you can do in advance to minimize the dangers of emergencies.
- Form a block watch. It’s easy and helps improve not only your safety against crime but also helps you know what neighbors may need assistance in an emergency.
- Be prepared. There are a lot of great resources online to help you prepare. Here are a few:
- Be ready to stay connected. There are many ways to get information, even if traditional communication lines are down:
- For any life-threatening situation, dial 911 immediately.
- Sign up to receive Pierce County Alert!
- Consider having a NOAA weather radio.
- Use NOAA hydrographs to check the aniticipated river levels of the Puyallup River near Orting and the Puyallup River at Puyallup as well as the White River.
- For water/sewer emergencies, call the City’s Public Works Shops at 253-299-5740. If after working hours, dial this number and press 0 when you hear the message.
- For a missing or loose pet, call Metro Animal Services at 253-299-PETS.
- For power outages, call Puget Sound Energy at 1-888-225-5773. You can also check service updates online.
- If you smell natural gas, leave the building and use a cell phone or neighbor’s phone to call 911 and then Puget Sound Energy (day or night) toll free at 1-888-225-5773. More about gas safety
Sumner Police Department
1104 Maple Street, Suite 140, Sumner WA 98390
Business Line: 253-863-6384 Tip Line: 253-299-5678
Animal Control: 253-299-PETS (7387)