Events are a great part of Sumner. Some events are small enough to use existing spaces and resources. Others are large enough to require scheduling special use of City resources. We are here to help assist you to help balance the needs of your event with the resources owned by the citizens of Sumner as well as impacts your event will have on existing residents and businesses.
No Permit Necessary
- All park spaces, including the picnic shelters, tables, barbecues, etc. are available on a first-come, first-serve basis only at no cost. Normal uses, such as birthday parties, family picnics, etc. do not require any kind of permit.
- Events held solely on private property without use of large tents or impact to the normal use of surrounding roads or sidewalks do not require any kind of permit.
Events that Need a Permit
You should obtain a Special Event Permit if your event is held on City property, including parks, streets, sidewalks or City parking lots; if your event changes the normal, everyday use of this space for the public and/or includes major components such as structures (City power, large tents, special tables, inflatable bounce toys, etc.) or a band or amplified music.
Obtaining a Permit
Permit applications can be found on the Permit Forms page and must be submitted at least 60 days in advance. On the other side of this sheet is a list of all of the permit fees and the Special Events Costs and Services, but for a general party-type event, here is an example of what may be required:
- City employee(s) at the event to set up and tear down barricades to reserve the space. They may also need to be on hand during your event for further services. For a small party with no other services, the cost would be the facility rental fee of $50 plus labor costs of $40 per hour on weekdays (one-hour minimum) and $60 per hour on weekends (three or four-hour minimums), and any other services or equipment fees you request.
- If there is alcohol being served, you will require a banquet permit and you will need the area fully barricaded. More info at http://liq.wa.gov/licensing/permits.
- With event permits, the City of Sumner requires a minimum limit of $2,000,000 of Commercial General Liability insurance. Even though there is no building, our code requires that the “City of Sumner” needs to be the Certificate Holder and an additional insured for the City of Sumner facilities.
- A pre-event meeting with the event applicant and the City of Sumner staff will be held 30 days prior to the event to go over things like the layout of the area you want to use, power connections, or to answer follow up questions (such as if you’d want to pay for the portable toilets to be serviced prior, etc.).
|Standard Police Officer Rates (1 hour minimum)||$50 per hour|
|Overtime Police Officer Rates (3 hour minimum)||$75 per hour|
|Standard Public Works Rates (1 hour minimum)||$45 per hour|
|Overtime Public Works Rates (3 hour minimum Mon-Fri outside of regular business hours, |
3 hours minimum on Saturdays, 4 hour minimum on Sundays)
|$65 per hour|
|City of Sumner Parking Lots: #1- Mount Hood (Between North St. & Main St.)|
#2- Delta Queen (off North St.), #3- King Alfred (Ryan Ave. & North St.)
#4- Golden Ducat (Main St.) #5- Cheerfulness (Main St. & Ryan Ave.)
|$50 each per day|
|Rhubarb Alley||$50 per day|
|Roads or Streets: Kincaid Ave. between Maple & Main, Cherry Ave between Maple & Main, |
Main Street—Kincaid Ave to Alder Ave, Main Street—Alder Ave to Ryan Ave,
Cannery Way bridge, or other
|$50 each per day|
|Public Parks: Loyalty Park, Heritage Park (without street closures), Rainier View Park, Ryan House Lawn or other||$50 each per day|
Equipment/Services Eligible for City Support
|Inspection for Large Public or Private Tents |
(Inspections are required by the Fire Dept. for tents that hold 50+ people)
|$128 per inspection|
|Street Sweeping||$85 per hour|
|Extra Barricades||$5 each|
|Connection to a City power box||$10 per day|
|Connection to City water (Available at #5 Main & Ryan parking lot only)||$10 per day|
|Connection to City sewer||$10 per day|
Equipment/Services Not Eligible for City Support
|Portable Toilet- ADA Compliant Rental||$145 ea.+ 25% service fee|
|Portable Toilet- Standard Rental||$90 ea.+ 25% service fee|
|Extra Garbage Dumpster (4 Cubic Yard)||$345 ea.+ 25% service fee|
|Extra Garbage Dumpster (2 Cubic Yard)||$185 ea.+ 25% service fee|
|Hang Promotional Banner||$150.00 per banner|
|If City staff and/or equipment costs are:||Your permit fee will be:|
|Less than $1,000||Actual costs not to exceed $500|
|$1,001 – $2,500||Actual costs not to exceed $1,500|
|$2,501 – $5,000||Actual costs not to exceed $2,500|
|$5,001 – $10,000||Actual costs not to exceed $5,000|
|Over $10,000||To be negotiated between applicant and city|
Lana Hoover, Community Relations Specialist