This page is intended to provide general information and does not constitute legal advice. You may wish to consult an attorney if you have further questions on laws or eligibility.
ENSURE THAT YOU MEET ALL REQUIREMENTS BEFORE APPLYING. FAILURE TO FOLLOW APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS MAY RESULT IN A DELAY OR DENIAL OF YOUR APPLICATION. FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.
IT IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE TO KNOWINGLY MAKE A FALSE STATEMENT REGARDING CITIZENSHIP OR IDENTITY ON AN APPLICATION FOR A CONCEALED PISTOL LICENSE. MISREPRESENTING INFORMATION SUCH AS YOUR NAME OR ADDRESS MAY SUBJECT YOU TO PROSECUTION UNDER RCW 9A.72.040
Where Can I Apply?
|RCW 9.41.070 (13) – A person may apply for a concealed pistol license:|
|(a) To the municipality or to the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in a municipality;|
|(b) To the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in an unincorporated area; or|
|(c) Anywhere in the state if the applicant is a nonresident.|
If you are unsure whether your residential address falls within the Sumner city limits or have questions, please call us first at 253-863-6384.
Keep in mind that having a “Sumner” mailing address or postal address does not necessarily mean the same thing as residing within the city limits.
We determine your residency primarily by the address on your state-issued ID card or driver’s license, which is considered your “address of record” (RCW 46.08.195). State law requires that any change of address must be reported to the Department of Licensing (DOL) within 10 days (RCW 46.20.205). You can easily update your address online via DOL’s website.
If the address on your ID does not match the address you provide on the application, or if available information suggests you do not live inside the city limits, we may ask you to show proof of residency.
For new (original) licenses:
- Fingerprinting is required for new CPLs. Call Sumner PD to make an appointment at 253-863-6384. Please be patient as staffing is limited, and volumes are expected to be high.
- Appointments are currently available on limited days and times.
- The applicant’s current residential address MUST be within Sumner’s city limits; be prepared to show proof of residency if necessary. See above for more information.
- Bring a fully completed Concealed Pistol License Application.
- Bring your state-issued photo ID (driver’s license or state-issued identification card)
- Bring the appropriate payment (cash or check/money order only, payable to CITY OF SUMNER).
- Bring your permanent resident alien card, if applicable.
- The applicant is the only person allowed into the fingerprinting area. Do not bring children/pets/etc to the appointment, or make arrangements for them. See our fingerprinting page or below for more information.
- Face mask usage is OPTIONAL at this time.
- If you are feeling sick or showing symptoms, stay home and call us to reschedule.
- If there are cuts or injuries to your fingers which have not fully healed, we will be unable to take your prints.
- Applicants who are unprepared or do not arrive on time may have their appointment cancelled/rescheduled.
- Hand-washing may be required before fingerprinting.
- Do NOT use hand-sanitizer before the appointment, as it may adversely affect print quality.
- Setting appointments allow us to manage our time, but are not a guarantee of service. Officers perform our fingerprinting and may be required to respond to priority calls at any moment. If this happens, we may need to cancel appointments with little or zero notice. If this occurs we will attempt to contact those affected.
For Renewal, Late Renewal or Replacement Licenses:
You do not need an appointment to renew or replace your CPL because fingerprints do not need to be taken. Please visit City Hall during in-person hours, OR submit your application by mail.
For ALL renewals or replacement applications:
- The applicant’s current residential address MUST be within Sumner’s city limits; be prepared to show proof of residency if necessary. Residents of other cities/areas must apply with their agency of jurisdiction.
- You may renew your CPL starting at 90 days prior to expiration. You may renew up to 90 days AFTER expiration with an added late fee.
- Please review the table (below) to determine which application you qualify for and the cost.
- Please bring your driver’s license or state-issued identification card.
- Please bring your current CPL card, if available.
- Please bring the appropriate payment (cash or check/money order only, payable to CITY OF SUMNER).
- Please bring your permanent resident alien card, if applicable.
If submitting a renewal/replacement by mail, follow these additional steps:
- Download and print the CPL application and fill it out completely.
- Make a copy of your driver’s license or state-issued identification card.
- Make a copy of your current CPL card, if available.
- Make a copy of your current permanent resident alien card, if applicable.
- Write a check or money order for the appropriate amount (see table below), payable to the CITY OF SUMNER.
- Place all items (application, copy of ID, copy of CPL card, copy of permanent resident alien card if applicable, and payment) into an envelope and mail it to the Sumner Police Department at 1104 Maple St, Sumner WA 98390
- Please ensure that you send your documentation with plenty of time for payment processing. If you send us renewal documents and your CPL expires before we process your payment, you will be responsible for the late renewal fee.
- If an incomplete application is received, it may cause a delay or denial of your application.
- If you are unsure or have questions, please call us first.
How much does a CPL cost?
|If You:||Apply For:||Cost:|
|Never had a CPL before, and you are applying for the first time||Original (New)||$49.25|
|Had a CPL, but it expired more than 90 days ago||Original (New)||$49.25|
|Have a current/valid CPL, and it is within 90 days of expiration||Renewal||$32|
|Have an expired CPL, but not by more than 90 days||Late-Renewal||$42|
|Lost your CPL, or wish to update your info||Replacement||$10|
Do I have to get a new CPL if my information changes?
You are not required to (although you may choose to) get a replacement CPL if your basic information changes, such as moving to another place, your name changes (via marriage, etc), or if your weight or hair color changes.
Do I have to get fingerprinted?
Fingerprints are only taken for new licenses. Sumner PD provides CPL fingerprinting by appointment only. Call to inquire about times and dates.
See our fingerprinting page for more information.
For safety and security reasons, we can only allow the applicant into the fingerprinting area, which is in a restricted-access location. Please leave non-service animals and minor children at home and/or with a responsible adult while you are here as we cannot be responsible for them. Failure to follow this instruction may result in a cancellation or rescheduling of your appointment.
Fingerprint appointments allow us to manage our time, however it is not a guarantee of service. Police work can be very dynamic, with changes or disruptions occurring with little notice. While we strive to keep on schedule, there are simply some times in which we must unexpectedly cancel appointments. We try to contact those affected as soon as we can.
Is there a background check?
Yes, all applicants undergo a background check for any disqualifying events and convictions. There are a number of statutes, both federal and state, which regulate firearms and CPL possession. If you are unsure of your eligibility, you may wish to consult an attorney to provide you with legal advice on whether to or how to proceed. Keep in mind that if you are disqualified from possessing a CPL, you may be prohibited from possessing firearms as well.
If you possess documentation which offers evidence of your eligibility to obtain/possess firearms or a CPL, please bring it with you and show it at the time of application.
What are the disqualifiers?
The following list is only an overview of general and/or common prohibitors.
These are not, by any means, all of the possible prohibitors and do not cover every exact or possible interpretation of the law. Juvenile offenses may be disqualifying as well, regardless of the final disposition. If you have concerns or questions about your eligibility, you may wish to consult with an attorney before applying.
The term “CONVICTION” in WA firearms law includes the following judgments:
Dismissals entered after a period of probation or suspension or deferral of sentence;
Includes equivalent dispositions by courts in jurisdictions other than Washington state.
- ANY CURRENT/ACTIVE FELONY INDICTMENT OR INFORMATION
- ANY FELONY CONVICTION AND ANY COMPARABLE/EQUIVALENT CONVICTION FROM OTHER JURISDICTIONS
For example: “Taking Motor Vehicle Without Permission” can be a misdemeanor in California, but it is a felony in Washington. A conviction under the California misdemeanor statute is comparable to a felony in Washington and would be disqualifying.
- DOMESTIC VIOLENCE (DV) CONVICTIONS
In Washington State, the definition of “domestic violence” often includes “household members” such as roommates, and/or romantic or intimate partners.
- PERSONS WHO ARE UNLAWFUL USERS OF OR ADDICTED TO ANY
MARIJUANA (CANNABIS) IS STILL A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE AND CONSIDERED ILLEGAL UNDER FEDERAL LAW. INDICATIONS OR ADMISSIONS OF RECENT USE, POSSESSION, OR DRUG-RELATED INCIDENTS MAY BE CONSIDERED DISQUALIFYING EVENTS.
- ACTIVE/OUTSTANDING WARRANT FROM ANY JURISDICTION
- ACTIVE COURT CASE FOR A “SERIOUS OFFENSE”
- ACTIVE PROTECTION ORDERS (OR OTHER COURT ORDERS WHICH PROHIBIT FIREARMS)
- PERSONS ADJUDICATED AS MENTAL DEFECTIVES OR HAVE BEEN COMMITTED TO AN INSTITUTION
How long will it take to get my CPL?
Processing may take up to 30 or 60 days depending on the type of applicant. If approved, we will mail your CPL to the address you provided on your application.
Sumner Police Department
1104 Maple Street, Sumner WA 98390
Non-Emergency / Dispatch: 253-287-4455 or toll-free 1-800-562-9800
Administrative Offices: 253-863-6384
Tip Line: 253-299-5678
Animal Control: 253-299-PETS (7387)