Our online utility bill pay system is currently down. The software vendor is looking into the issue. In the meantime, we will not proceed with shut-offs as scheduled for 2/28/23 and will update the timeline when the system returns. You can still pay by credit card, check or cash at City Hall.
If you are experiencing or witnessing an emergency or in-progress crime or incident, call 911. 

The Sumner Police Department (via South Sound 911) offers the ability to report certain crimes or incidents online.  Once accepted by the police department, an online report will be assigned a case number which can be used for insurance claims or other purposes.

Please keep in mind that online reports are generally considered informational or advisory, and are not immediately reviewed.  If your incident contains suspects which can be identified, or if you believe there is sufficient evidence to support an investigation, or wish to speak to an officer, please do not use online reporting.  In these cases, we would ask that you call dispatch at 253-287-4455 in order to be connected to an officer directly.

Online reporting is intended for certain non-emergency, not-in-progress incidents, such as:

  • Theft or Fraud
  • Lost or Stolen Property
  • Vehicle Prowl or Vandalism  

Please follow the guidelines below to determine if online reporting is an appropriate option.  If you are unsure or would rather talk to someone first, call our non-emergency dispatch at 253-287-4455 or toll-free at 1-800-562-9800.


You may use Online Reporting in these situations:

  • The crime or incident has already been committed or is no longer in progress
  • There are no suspects or witnesses
  • There is no evidence to support an investigation
  • No one was injured
  • The crime happened within the Sumner city limits
    • If your incident happened outside the city, contact the local law enforcement agency for that area.
    Call 911 or Non-Emergency If:

    • The crime or incident is in-progress
    • Suspects may be or can be identified
    • You believe there is evidence to support an investigation
    • There are injuries involved
    • An in-person or immediate response is necessary

     Do Not Use Online Reporting For:

    • Lost or stolen vehicles or license plates
    • Lost or stolen guns or weapons
    • Vehicle collisions / hit and run (see below)
    • Lost/stolen items with serial numbers

    Please visit South Sound 911 (click here) to get started with Online Reporting:

    1. You will be asked to fill out a series of questions concerning your incident on a secure website.
    2. You will need to provide valid contact information.
    3. Once you submit your report, you will be provided with a confirmation number.  This is simply an acknowledgement of the submission; it is not your case number.
    4. The police department will receive your report and then be accepted or rejected.
    5. If rejected, you should receive a notice containing the reason.
    6. If accepted, a case number will be assigned to your report.


    Motor Vehicle Collision Reports

    If a collision scene requires emergency assistance, call 911.  If a collision scene does not require an emergency response, a police response can still be requested by calling the non-emergency line at 253-287-4455.  Please keep in mind that every agency has different policies regarding collisions, and depending on the circumstances, officers may not always be able to respond (or respond immediately), and they do not always complete a formal collision report.  

    In many cases, drivers may choose to handle a collision themselves without police involvement.  State law outlines when a collision must be reported, by whom, and how.  The Washington State Patrol’s (WSP) website contains a section dedicated to collisions, and offers information on how to report collisions, what the applicable laws are, and how to request collision reports or data.  Per the WSP website:  Any driver, pedestrian, pedal cycle or property owner involved in a collision within the state – with $1000 or more damage to any one unit and/or injury to any person – must complete a Motor Vehicle Collision Report. However, if a police officer is present and indicates he/she will submit a collision report, then you are not required to submit one.

    Public Records Considerations

    Online Reporting

    The online reporting system does not automatically provide copies of reports once submitted.  If you wish to obtain a copy of an online report, you must make a request via our public records portal.  Please visit our Police Records and Public Disclosure page for more information.

    Collision Reports

    Depending on the type of record, there may be multiple options for requesting records related to collisions.

    The Washington State Patrol is the official repository for all formal collision reports in the state.  Please visit their web site at:  Collision Reports – WSP (wa.gov)

    In other cases, it may be possible to obtain records by requesting them directly from the law enforcement agency which handled the incident.  There may also be records housed with the 911 or dispatch center which had involvement with the incident.


    Contact Us

    Sumner Police Department
    1104 Maple Street, Sumner WA 98390
    Non-Emergency / Dispatch: 253-287-4455 or toll-free 1-800-562-9800
    Administrative Offices: 253-863-6384
    Tip Line: 253-299-5678
    Animal Control: 253-299-PETS (7387)
    FAX:  253-299-5669

    Skip to content